Being dehydrated can slow you down, reduce your shooting accuracy, and impact your ball skills. It can also make you dizzy and increase your risk of cramping up on court. It is essential to maintain good hydration to avoid the above occurring.
2-3 hours before the game: Two poached eggs on wholegrain toast with spinach, mushroom and tomato, porridge or cereal with fruit and peanut butter, chicken and salad sandwich on wholegrain bread or a baked potato with meat and salad.
30 mins before: A light carbohydrate snack such as a banana or muesli bar.
This is the most important time for nutrition on game day.
- Fruit smoothie with banana, milk, frozen berries, oats, honey and cinnamon
- Porridge with berries, chia seeds and banana
- Poached eggs on wholegrain toast with spinach, tomato and mushrooms
- Veggie omelette (tomato, onion, fetta and spinach) with wholegrain toast
- Baked beans on wholegrain toast with cheese and tomato
* Try to limit high sugar processed breakfast cereals and meal replacement drinks such as Up & Go and Sustagen (these should only be consumed when running late or without another option and should not become a regular habit).
- Sandwich, rolls or pita bread (always wholegrain) with fillings such as lean chicken and salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, spinach, avocado, carrot, capsicum), tuna, lean beef, cheese or hommos
- Vegetable soup and a bread roll
- Homemade pizza with salad
- Homemade burger with salad
- Rice paper rolls with salad
- PLUS additional fruit and yogurt or any other healthy snacks as outlined
- Grilled, barbecued or lightly pan-fried meat, skinless chicken or fish with vegetables/salad (marinate first if desired)
- Pasta with a tomato-based or low fat sauce containing some lean meat, poultry, fish, seafood or some grated cheese and a side salad e.g. spaghetti bolognaise, tortellini with a chicken and tomato sauce
- Stir-fry – include something for protein, vegetables and rice or noodles e.g. chicken, beef or tofu with vegetables and cashew nuts
- Mexican e.g. beef and kidney bean burritos with salsa and a side salad
- Curry or casserole with rice e.g. mild lamb curry, apricot chicken, tuna casserole
- Roast on a rack or in the covered BBQ with a mix of oven baked and steamed vegetables or salad
- Fresh, canned or frozen fruits
- Vegetable sticks with hommos or veggie dip
- Mixed, unsalted nuts or a trail mix with dried fruit and chocolate chips
- Sliced apple and carrot sticks with peanut butter
- Homemade fruit muffins
- Fruit smoothie
- Rice crackers with cheese/avocado and vegemite